The life of novice drivers is full of fears, but it doesn’t mean that they are any special, because every motorist with an experience started with the same phobias that are now present in the former students of a driving school.
In fact, fear is a natural human reaction to some new phenomenon, which they have not yet fully explored, and from which it is not clear what to expect in the future.
If we were never afraid of anything, we would have shared the fate of the dinosaurs long ago. That’s why the fear of driving a car for a novice driver is like a life-saving wand, which prevents him from making fatal mistakes in the first days of independent driving.
So, what fears is the first thing a novice driver encounters?
What beginner drivers are afraid of
- The very first phobia for a beginner after training in a driving school is driving without an instructor. Sometimes it gets to the point where, clinging to the steering wheel, drivers are numb and can’t decide which way to go.
To get rid of this unpleasant phenomenon once and for all, it is recommended to be at the wheel of a car for the first time in the presence of an experienced driver – for example, brother or father. As a rule, the fear passes completely within a week of daily driving.
- Another fear is the fear of doing something wrong. This is a normal feeling, due to which a beginner will think a hundred times before making any maneuver. The only thing that can confuse the novice driver is the nervous signals of other traffic participants.
- The third type of fear is in front of annoying signals to the novice driver. Sometimes drivers refuse to get behind the wheel just because they are afraid they will be honked in response to some wrong action on the road.
But, first, they can signal to a completely different person; secondly, you can always put up a sign “dummy” to screen the emotions of most adequate people; and thirdly, there is a category of impatient drivers who honk always and all, and it certainly should not be taken to heart.
- Fear of crashing a car is natural for a driver-trainee, because it is possible to feel the dimensions of the car completely only on the second-third month of regular trips. Especially strong phobia increases in narrow courtyards and in the parking lot in a busy place, for example, near the supermarket.
But this is how drivers learn an invaluable skill – to feel approaching an obstacle where there is no view. This fear can only be fought.
- Yesterday’s graduates of a driving school are very much afraid of a meeting with the inspector of traffic police. In spite of the fact, that this fear is rather reasonable, it should not cause any discomfort to the heroes of our article. Just think about it, is it possible to find a more disciplined and observant of all traffic rules than the one who first sat behind the wheel without an instructor?
Conclusion – in order not to be afraid of being stopped by the traffic police, it is enough just to comply with traffic rules.
- What else new drivers are so much afraid of, is not to notice the pedestrian or the approaching car, in particular, on an unregulated intersection.
Unfortunately, these fears accompany even experienced drivers, because what can be more terrible than hitting a person or a serious accident through your fault? Observe the speed limit, be careful and do not enter complex intersections without making sure that the maneuver is absolutely safe, and everything will be fine.
Fight some fears stupid, because one day they will save your life and the people around you. But some delusions must be nipped in the bud. After all, not only that they give rise to new fears, but also can provoke accidents on an empty place.
Misconceptions that give rise to fears of inexperienced motorists
Due to their fears, many novices on the roads begin to sincerely believe in the delusions invented by themselves, which can be very dangerous in various situations.
For example, many novice drivers because of fear of interfering with other traffic participants decide to yield to everyone, without exception, which is fundamentally wrong. Keep in mind, it has nothing to do with the culture of driving, and the other drivers, if you give in to them where it is not necessary, will be in an incomprehensible situation. And that’s the most dangerous thing on the road when you don’t know what to do next.
As for driving fast, remember that the safest speed on the highway is equal to the flow of traffic, and in the city is the allowed speed on a particular stretch of road.
If you drive unreasonably slow, which a large number of beginners are deluded, you can create a lot more accidents than if you were driving like all the adequate people around. And the fear of high speeds can never be overcome if you always drive like a turtle.
A serious fear-mongering to the point of panic attacks is promoted by the mentality of new drivers that other drivers judge them, laugh at them, and perhaps even try to humiliate them in some way.
In reality, it makes no difference to a person who is rushing about their business what kind of experience the driver has in the car ahead of them. And the racers, who want to stand out in the general flow, scaring the inexperienced motorists, will do it regardless of their presence on the road.
Another dangerous misconception is not to get on the road during rush hour and not to drive on difficult routes, so that the driver’s life would be more relaxed and trouble-free. But the novice driver thus risks for a long time to strengthen the uncertainty in making responsible decisions in a dense stream of cars, where he will periodically be all the same.
And lastly, the most common misconception, which for a long time does not give to overcome the fear of driving without a partner – is the lack of knowledge of the traffic rules. Why is this misconception a priori false? For the simple reason that the knowledge of the just graduated cadet is much more, than any other driver with a ten-year experience, for example.
Therefore, follow the rules strictly, be confident in each of your maneuvers, do not worry, and then everything will work out. And the experience, which may really be lacking, with the proper skill and desire is gained quickly enough, the main thing – do not be afraid of anything.